Friday 29 June 2007

SpecSavers (Harlow)

You know, I don't seem to see as well as I did. Those number plates are getting harder to read. I sit in a meeting, with a spreadsheet flashed up on a big plasma screen, and I can't read what it says. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked, hey?

Opticians are funny guys. They can't do any business with me unless they do an eye-test first. You'd have thought that they would fall over themselves to offer these. But not a bit of it. I traipse around. I go into Dolland and Aitcheson in Ipswich, which stinks to high heaven of mould and damp. Luckily for me the staff tell me that they can't test me.

So here I am in Harlow, and I go into the SpecSavers there. The shop is empty. They can do a test for me, so I tell them to. It's £18, which they don't mention until I ask. They do a test. It doesn't seem too bad. Yes, I need new glasses.

But I have a very nice set of frames now. So I ask for just new lenses. Problem!!! PROBLEM!!!

They won't sell me lenses. I have to buy complete frames and lenses from them. I query this. The girl who tested my eyes leads me to some manager woman who sits there, scowling. She asks. I don't get a reply; just a tightening of the mouth and a shake of the head. Then she says "Company policy." That's all I get. She looks like she's dying to rip into me. So I leave. I don't need or want any new frames. I don't need or want a fight. I didn't need to spend £18 on an eye-test if I can't get lenses.

But have I just been diddled here? OK, I have a prescription. But if I take it elsewhere, and there's a problem, the dispenser is going to blame the prescription, right? Then where am I? Glasses cost a lot. So I pretty much have to get the eye-test at the people I buy the lenses from. That means, surely, that I am £18 down?

Couldn't they have mentioned this little policy of theirs before they did business with me? Given the attitude, I suspect that they are getting flak -- and no surprise there.

I go into Dolland and Aitcheson in Harlow and ask if they could make me up some lenses. They tell me they can, but my glasses have to go away for a week or two (why?). I ask what the cheapest pair of frames and lenses would be, to tide me over while I wait. £65 they say. That's real money for something I'll use only once.

But I did find one thing to do with the prescription. I found LowCostSpex, an online dispenser. They'll do me a pair of lenses and frames for £15, if I type in the prescription. For that much, I'm willing to take a punt. Let's see what comes back! It's a lot cheaper than £65.

Glasses have gone up massively in the last 10-15 years. Looks like profits have too.

PS: Two days later I get a call from LowCostSpex. They aren't sure that what I entered in their form is correct, and want to make sure. For £15 they are certainly working hard. I tell them that they deserve to make a fortune. Meanwhile I go around 3 opticians in Ipswich, asking about new lenses -- known as 'reglazing' in the trade. One quote for £110, another for £150; just for the lenses. My, these people aren't losing money!

2 comments:

Keith Bennett said...

I'm a Dispensing Optician but i now work as a window cleaner.My advice would be buy all your specs from online companies,you'll see just as well.Ask if they employ a D.O. or someone similarly qualified to make sure they are made up to the relevant British or European standards.Re-glazes are no problem for any optician with an in-house lab,which most Specsavers have.If they don't have your lenses in stock they should order them and call you when thay arrive,then you will be asked to leave the frames with them for 20 to 60 minutes.If your frame is plastic it is possible for it to break during the fitting process,the plastic loses its elasticity with age,but they should offer to try it at your own risk and it is rare for a breakage to occur.I also worked as an Optical Lab Technician at Specsavers.If you would like any independant advice about future matters relating to your spectacles please feel free to get in touch.This also applies to your friends and family.
Regards,Keith.
keith.bennett2@virgin.net

Roger Pearse said...

Thank you Keith for these notes. Yes, it's odd that Specsavers would want to make problems. But with the arrival of online dispensers, frankly the game is up.

What makes me angry, though, is all the elderly being ripped off. These people don't have a lot of money. One can imagine some old granny going into an optician, and being told the bill is £300. Lip quavering, the old dear feels that she has to pay, and perhaps see if she can do without heating for a few weeks or something.

Gross over-charging for something cheap is evil exploitation of the vulnerable.